Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Good Times

There are a lot of things I look back on fondly and miss about my childhood, especially as I raise my kids in this new and ever changing world.  One thing that I miss most is letter writing.  I used to write a lot of letters and they were good.  They were my artistic medium, honed and crafted. I wish that carried over to these blog posts, but writing to a person and the masses are vastly different enterprises.  Regardless, the thing I miss about letters was not only the formation of the letters on my end, but the anticipation of a response.  Nothing was instant, and ideas and hopes and emotions would fill me in the meantime.  Waiting was formative.  Now we don't wait.  Its all instant, and while I like getting stuff now, I miss the waiting.  I miss the patient waiting, and hoping.  I think it taught me something valuable that maybe I stopped learning a long time ago. 


My cousin Ryan posted this on his FB account today.  I'm sure I read it only moments later. Ha.  anyway it said "In the end everything will be OK.  If its not OK, its not the end."


In other words wait for it.  


This is also my song post.  The Song "We used to wait"  (Also to experience it in an amazing way from a happier(?) time of your own life, you must check this out http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/)


basically what I just said. But it also speaks of the value of having words on paper, tangible and lasting rather than digital and easily deleted. Forever.  In a letter you put yourself into it. You think about it. You craft and form it. It comes from your heart.  A tweet, email, Wall post typically doesn't have that much investment....



I used to write,
I used to write letters I used to sign my name
I used to sleep at night
Before the flashing lights settled deep in my brain

But by the time we met
By the time we met the times had already changed

So I never wrote a letter
I never took my true heart I never wrote it down
So when the lights cut out
I was left standing in the wilderness downtown

Now our lives are changing fast
Now our lives are changing fast
Hope that something pure can last
Hope that something pure can last

It seems strange anekatips
How we used to wait for letters to arrive
But what's stranger still
Is how something so small can keep you alive

We used to wait
We used to waste hours just walking around
We used to wait
All those wasted lives in the wilderness downtown

oooo we used to wait
oooo we used to wait
oooo we used to wait
Sometimes it never came
(oooo we used to wait)
Sometimes it never came
(oooo we used to wait)
Still moving through the pain
(oooooo)

I'm gonna write a letter to my true love
I'm gonna sign my name
Like a patient on a table
I wanna walk again gonna move through the pain

Now our lives are changing fast
Now our lives are changing fast
Hope that something pure can last
Hope that something pure can last

oooo we used to wait
oooo we used to wait
oooo we used to wait
Sometimes it never came
(oooo we used to wait)
Sometimes it never came
(oooo we used to wait)
Still moving through the pain
(oooooo) anekatips

we used to wait (x3)
www.lyrics-celebrities.anekatips.com

We used to wait for it
We used to wait for it
Now we're screaming sing the chorus again
We used to wait for it
We used to wait for it
Now we're screaming sing the chorus again

I used to wait for it
I used to wait for it
Hear my voice screaming sing the chorus again

Wait for it (x3)

2 comments:

  1. I've been quoted! And here I am almost instantly reading your blog, thanks to seeing your link on Facebook just a few minutes after you had posted. Oh the irony...

    I often find myself trying to "craft" these posts and really "hone" my thoughts before posting...and then find myself deleting an entire post feeling as though it has no place being in this type of medium, where it should be short and simple instead--a quick click of the "like" button as opposed to an actual comment/thought.

    I still have some of the patience that I learned during those letter writing days. I've been working on getting some of it back--hence the quotation that was posted as a reminder to myself (and anyone else who happened upon it before it became buried in the instantly updated news feed). I haven't listened to this Arcade Fire album for a little while now--today might be a good day for another listen.

    All the best to you and the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, Hey! So as you've probably noticed I don't update this very often. And even less often to do I notice when someone comments. Nearly 2 months later is pretty pathetic. However, you did have to wait, so I assume that may have built character. Ha.

    Regardless, thanks for the inspiration, the family here is doing well and I am very sorry for you and for myself that Syracuse played so sloppily and gave the game away. Repeatedly.

    The Fam is doing well. I hope you and Kelly are truly enjoying the year round sun down in Texas.

    Later

    ReplyDelete