Monday, June 11, 2012

Music Lover

My favorite genres of music are folk and funk. For some reason there isn't much of a CCM (Christian Contemporary Music) market for either, at least that I'm aware of.  I did discover Newworldson a little while ago and they play some excellent funk. 


You should check out Working Man and Empty Heart. If you want more traditional then try here. Listen to Wash Me Clean and Learning to Be the Light. (Which is getting play on CCM radio.)  


Regardless, I love these guys. 


Not only do I have really good taste in music, but I'm also a dad.  And as a dad I've been thinking about my kids and how I get my kids to do the good that they know they should do.


For example, my son picks on my daughter.  Me: "Gabe, why do you do that?! you know better."  
Simone starts her piano lessons then dissappears.  "Simone, you know you are supposed to be working on your piano.  Get back on the bench!"


I have the same problem, and so did Paul in Romans 7:18,19 "I know there is nothing good in my sinful nature. I want to do what is good, but I can't. I don't do the good things I want to do". 


I know what is right good and best, but don't do it.


I just read something that made sense. More than knowers, Christians are supposed to be lovers. Christian maturity is really about what we love, not what we know.  It's easy to teach knowledge, but only God can move hearts to love what he loves.  Don't get me wrong: knowledge is good and necessary, but love powers us to choose the good. 


For people in the church it's easy to appear spiritually mature.  Just say the right stuff.  Speak the lingo.  Know your Doctrine. BUT, the real measure of our lives isn't what we know.  It's what we love. It's who we love.   Do we love others? Do we really love Jesus? Love is shown by what we do, not what we say, right?  


So my question to all of you is how do we love better?  How do we  learn to love what and who God loves?


*All songs played on Grooveshark a free music service that I regularly use and prefer to spotify, pandora, and lastfm. Play what you want, when you want and it doesn't have to be broadcast to all your fb friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment