Monday, January 18, 2010

Martin Luther King Jr.


It's his day, so how do we honor him?  I think it's necessary to remember not only what he stands for, not only the impact he had, or the difference there is today because of him.  No, to truly realize what it takes to change the way people think and act and feel we need to remember what he did, when he did it and how much it cost him.  I've been reading lot's of quotes and things on facebook, many from my friend Dave Zimmerman among others.  These posts got me thinking in a significant way about MLK day.  They got me thinking more about this day than most of the times in the past I've considered this day.  As a result of this extended reflection, the one thing that most impresses me is not only the things that MLK said, but what he did. Sure his words are true and they resonate and they were put accurately and pointedly.  But lot's of people can say things that are true.  Lot's of people can say things eloquently, lot's of people can post things on their facebook status, like I did.  But what most people don't do and aren't willing to do is say those things for the benefit of others. Most people aren't willing to stand up for what is right and what is good if it will cost them anything.  Sure we may send $10 bucks here or there to some charity or worthy cause (Haiti).  But MLK gave up his life, he said those words knowing his time was short.  He stood for truth knowing someone was going to gun him down.  He gave it all that some might have life.

John 15:11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

So just as we honor MLK today, we are reminded that everyday we need to honor Jesus Christ.  He's the one who gave all that he had so that we could have life, not just a better life on earth, but eternal abundant and lasting life.  Both MLK and Jesus persevered despite the suffering set before them.  What about you and me?

MLK jr's I have a dream speech.
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUtL_0vAJk

No comments:

Post a Comment