Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tebow


I don't like the Florida Gators. I really don't like Steve Spurrier and was glad when he left and struggled at Washington and South Carolina.  I was glad when Florida was down for a few years.  Into all of that disdain walked Tim Tebow.  I have been slow to warm up to the all world QB whose on the field performance is only topped by his off the field efforts. He regularly visits prisons, the Philippines and talks to young kids about living with a higher purpose and rising above the temptations and culture that would suck them in.  He is a great leader and inspirer.  Unfortunately whenever anyone leads they attract nay sayers and haters.  It happened to Nehemiah of the Bible. It happens to Presidents as can be seen happening to Barak Obama.  I agree with little that Obama holds to be the right way forward, but I think that there are too many attacks against him and not as much substantive rebuttal.  It's certainly happening to Tim Tebow.
Read this great article about Mr Tebow from ESPN's Pat Forde.   Basically, Tebow puts himself and his faith out there and for that people hate him.  Vehemently.  It is being brought out all the more as word spreads of his Pro-Life Super Bowl Spot.  For example this comment from a similar article on People.com.

"WOW, how ironic that a walking, talking abortion of a person is "pro life" (more like pro "lets step back into the dark ages where we controlled women instead of letting them make their own choices when it comes to THEIR bodies"). Thank you Mr Tebow, you have 100% confirmed that abortion should be a choice, it's just a shame your mother didn't do us all a favor and choose to get rid of you. Oh and I couldn't care less what everyones personal choices are, just don't you DARE try to tell me what I should and shouldn't do with my body, this is AMERICA, not IRAN."

Hate.  Spewing.  Crazy.  But he endures the hate and criticism that most 22 year olds would break down and cry from. He knows he aims to please God, and not other people.  He is willing to be humble so that Christ may be glorified. Are we?  Am I?  Am I willing to risk people liking me to do what is right and good?  Am I willing to take a stand? I hope so.  I try, but I'm a people pleaser.  It's easier. It's safer. But we are called to more than an easy and safe life.  Much more.  We are called to glorify our great God in Heaven .  We are called to suffer with him and for him.  Since we belong to him. Hopefully these words of Jesus in JOhn can help bring some comfort and encouragement, to Tim and to us.

16:33"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

 Sooo

I really like Tim Tebow.  I even kinda like the Gator Nation.  But the Old Ball Coach is still on my "punk" list. 


No comments:

Post a Comment