Monday, December 21, 2009

The gift of life


Cynthia Nixon says she can't keep quiet about the abortion debate as it relates to the proposed health care reform.   She says that both sides want to lessen the number of abortions and yet she wants the Stupak amendment out of the bill, which basically upholds the current federal position of not using tax dollars to fund abortion.  In the interview she mentions rape, incest and situations where the mother's life is threatened and says we shouldn't punish people who have those difficult circumstances thrust upon them...however the Stupak amendment doesn't limit federal dollars for abortion in those situations. 

I think one thing we can be sure of in the US the best way to make people care about something is to make there be a financial incentive or cost tied to the matter.  See dieting, smoking, and dead beat dads.  If we are serious about limiting abortion doesn't it make sense that an additional cost be tied to it? 

There are 3,500-3,700 Abortions a DAY in the USA 1.1-1.3 million a year.  That's a huge problem and if we underwrite the cost, we incentivize poor family planning.   That number will rise and we'll all be worse off for  it. Why not put our money where our mouths are and really truly attempt to lower the number of abortions, regardless of what side of the debate we are on and while the USA is allowing abortion, not mandating that we all foot the outrageous medical bills for the "choice" of some.

Psalm 139:13-18

 13 For you created my inmost being;
       you knit me together in my mother's womb.
 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
       your works are wonderful,
       I know that full well.
 15 My frame was not hidden from you
       when I was made in the secret place.
       When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
 16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
       All the days ordained for me
       were written in your book
       before one of them came to be.
 17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
       How vast is the sum of them!
 18 Were I to count them,
       they would outnumber the grains of sand.
       When I awake,
       I am still with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment